December 15, 2008

Lush Lallang


It is hard to find a field or even a patch of Lallang these days. Where it used to be a common sight among canals or is some open fields, Lallang seemed to disappear along with the increasing population of Singapore.

Needless to say, I was very excited when I passed by this patch of Lallang near my home. This patch was not natural. It was planted in front of a showflat of an upcoming condominium a few blocks away. The patch was still pretty sparse initially but over the days, the lallang became lush.

The sight of Lallang was nostalgic. Lallang used to be aplenty on a field near my primary school along West Coast Road. On my travel to and fro the school when I travelled along West Coast Road, I would pass by these Lallang. The sway of Lallang on a breezy day instilled a sense of calm for the passerbys. Blowing lallang and watching its seeds sail along with the wind was also a fun activity.

I have moved since sixteen years ago. When I first moved, we would still travel back occasionally to visit friends and my alma mater. Now, I rarely travelled to West Coast. I wonder if the Lallangs are still there or have they made way for new infrastructures.

No comments: