December 02, 2008

Books and more Books

You must be flooded with all the book reviews in this blog recently and wonder when I have become such a bookworm.

Well, I have always enjoyed reading since young. It is where I know about other culture, practices or another world totally. It is where I can truly destressed by immersing myself in the fiction, away from the hustle and bustle surrounding me or the mundane trivialities that I have to deal with. Reading can be an escapade.

The past 2 weeks when I have been clearing annual vacation leave at home provides a good window for me to catch up some reading and indulge in the solitude of the words.

Reading is also a way of keeping up with English language. For those of us who work at least 9 hours a day, and who are not in the creative industry, our use of the language can be reduced to that few words relating to our work. We only deal with facts and no longer appreciate an appropriate use of the language. Our writing and speech becomes curt and with only statistics and few verbs. Only through reading do we actually see the beauty of the language.

In addition, books are also a means for us to constantly acquire newer knowledge and stay connected. For those of us who have left school, our intelligence and knowledge can truly stagnate unless we do something about it. Reading is essential to know more and to know the latest.

When is the last time you have picked up a book? Since a long weekend is coming, instead of hitting the malls, why not hit the library instead?

No comments: