December 12, 2008

Performance Review

I have not had subordinate reporting directly to me for years. When I took over the coordinating role for the corporate products, I have conveniently forgotten about the taking over the supporting officer.

Managing subordinates sometimes is a tougher art to master than taking over a new project. The balance of assertiveness with understanding and control with delegation cannot be determined precisely with any scientific formulae. In fact, what is the percentage split often differs from personality to personality. Success with one employee cannot be easily replicated for the next.

Subordinates and supervisors often have differing goals and expectations. How to effectively communicate your expectations to your subordinate without being perceived as domineering? How to have open communication without hurting feelings especially when improvements are required? How to encourage and compliment without promoting complacency? It requires many trials and errors and fine-tuning along the way.

I was very nervous when I had to meet my subordinate for discussion of her mid-year review. To be frank, her performance has slackened over the past year because of her personal and family problems. It was time to let her know she would need to watch out and improve or her final year performance would be adversely affected.

Sometimes, the supervisor would be more nervous than the subordinate as the supervisor had to play a motivating and guiding role. This meant giving space yet without appearing too hands-off. This meant encouraging but remaining open. This meant telling directly areas of improvement without appearing critical. Lastly, how to motivate good staff from sustaining their performances while pulling demotivated staff to better performance.

Sigh! I am still learning. Hopefully, my subordinate will give me time so that we can work together as a better team.

No comments: