January 07, 2009

Birthday Cake

This year is even more understated than last year. Given that I am at the grand old age of 29, I do not see the need to make a big hoo-ha of this day. When one is happy, every day can be celebrated as if it is your birthday. When one is facing certain challenges in life, tackling real life issues take centre stage. Moreover, as one grows older, other more meaningful days may supersede the importance of birthdays, eg wedding anniversaries, your children's birthdays, etc. Gradually, birthday will just relegate to another normal day.

This year, I have not even taken leave as it is just one day before flash day - the day when we issue report on the prior month's performance to Management. Instead of taking a day off and constantly worrying about the work load for the next day, I would rather work the day before and get my preparation for D-Day.

Initially, I expected to just quietly finish my work and go home early. One of my colleagues who is a friend in Facebook knew of my birthday and sent me wishes very early. Another colleague came to know about it from her and bought me a cheese cake (very yummy because I ate it the next day). Kudos also to CY. I recalled only telling her my birthday once and she remembered it every year.

I have not managed to leave on time at 6 pm but I left around 7 pm. More surprises await me when my sister bought me a small piece of strawberry shortcake. So kawaii (Japanese: adorable). It is also one of the best strawberry shortcake I have ever tasted as it was fluffy without being too creamy (Hint: from Four Leaves Bakery).

Thank you to SYP, CY, Esther, My mum and Sis for continuing to make this a special day for me. :-)

No comments: