For regular readers of My Paper, you would know that there is a going to be a revamped version which will be a bilingual paper.
My Paper has positioned itself as a trendier free paper than Today with its more heartland features and easier to read write-up (lower fog index). In fact, it reminds me of the Friday Weekly which is THE weekly Chinese paper to read if you want to improve Chinese. Friday Weekly then was a paper which targeted the students with the topics discussed closer to the hearts of the youngsters. It also contained little "dictionaries" to explain the meanings of the more difficult Chinese words and phrases in English. The same function can also be found in My Paper.
I like My Paper not only because it is an easy and entertaining read, it is also succint in the reporting of international and latest news.
I) For people who are on the go, time spent in commuting to work can be better utilised by keeping updated about the latest political developments in US (Hillary and Obama) or our hospitalisation subsidy (mean income test).
II) Simultaneously, we are also more cognisant of the latest heartland issues which we may be oblivious to, for eg the passionate taxi driver who always send emails to the town councils whenever certain public infrastructures break down.
III) The weekly editorials from freelance writers also provide different perspectives to those working abroad, for eg the intern reporter who is in Taiwan, the writer who observes more of Hong Kong than the hustle and bustle and the writer who often travels to Cambodia.
IV) Special tips on travel, skin care and even food provides useful grooming and social alternatives.
V) To have a better EQ at work, Ms Shenton is our saviour.
Notwithstanding the revamped version contains more information with different stories each in the Chinese and English section, I still prefer to the pre-revamped My Paper.
1) With it being more comprehensive in all stories, the paper loses its original positioning and becomes more like Today, but with a Chinese section. Previously, it was clearly distinct from Today.
2) It is too thick and heavy to carry around and for reading while in a train cabin. This defeats its original purpose of catering to the morning crowd to read while travelling to work or school. The pages keep slipping down while I am holding it because of its weight. As I am reading it while standing in a crowded train, it is difficult to keep rearranging the paper. Hence, by the time, I reach the third page, the paper is already in a big mess.
3) With so much information, it is difficult to focus on all important stories and to finish the paper before I step into my office. This heightens fustration. Moreover, the wordy and less colourful pages (probably to cut cost from having to print more pages) are not as reader-friendly as before.
I miss the old version with very focused messages, distinct and unique features on each day of the week and myriad readers' inputs and freelance editorials. This is the first time I hope a paper has never revamped. :-(
2 comments:
i share ur sentiments.... prefer the old version which ptovides a light read... juz nice wen i reach office.. i m done with the paper....now i dun take the paper anymore ....
HP
Think subsequently, it brings back some of its own flavour, so I guess it is stil worth reading.
Post a Comment