June 07, 2007

Men, Oh Men!

Metrosexuals aside, perhaps the general opinion of guys are that they are not exactly fashionistas and often less particular about dressings relative to their female counterparts. At least, that was my rather stereotypical opinions as well. A string of recent incidents are proving me wrong.

Incident 1:
Brother text me over Sametime during a meeting to ask me if I knew the presenter who was also from my Department. After I told him who she was, Brother’s comment was she was quite good looking and she dressed up quite formally.

It did not immediately register in my mind as I cast it as one of his usual comments. After all, sometimes he would share with me whom he thought “chio” (pretty). He is typically quite visual and a joker. When a marketing colleague once mistook him to be from the sales team, he was quite happy for a while because in his opinion, sales person = good looking person. Hence, the marketing colleague must have perceived him to be good looking.

Incident 2:
I went out lunch with Brother, CY and company (from my line). Brother, Sam and I were walking alongside. Suddenly, Brother made a comment about a lady in front of us with short skirts.

Brother: Doesn’t she feel awkward wearing like that.

In my heart, I was nodding my head. Yup, the skirt was short and definitely inconvenienced movements.

Sam: Yeah loh. If she wants to wear, she should wear it shorter.
Brother: I also say.

Perplexed, exasperated and stumped for words, I shook my head.

Incident 3:
After lunch, I had to meet Brother for discussion. I put on my jacket for fear of the cold in the meeting room.

His first comment was why I looked so formal today with my suit and my Victorian top (high-neck shirt). I was caught off-guard. Wow, he has displayed such familiarity with what I have been wearing? We have seen each other almost every working day and being his sister, I thought he would not notice what I was wearing (his line of focus was often on the babes).

Who says men are oblivious to what the ladies are wearing? It is more likely that they have often kept the comments to themselves. Ha ha.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

no lor .. not all guys keep their comments to themselves.. i juz got suan terribly by my colleague for wearing a pair of shoes (pointed end kind)which in his opinion is to be worn by aunties in their 40s...n he started calling me "Peng-Yi" from tat day onwards.... tsk tsk tsk.... Men n their taste!

SJ said...

And who says guys have no fashion sense?

We should have known better given that many prominent designers are male.

Anonymous said...

most guys probably make comments because iz in their nature to have the last say, not so much to do with their fashion sense or lack of?