February 15, 2010

Visiting Ms Phuah

This is the first time I am meeting Ms Phuah's parents face-to-face despite knowing her as a friend for a long time. I am getting nervous. What will they think of me? Will I be deemed a worthy friend of their beloved daughter? Will they be under the wrong impression that I am there for ang paos?

Once I decide to go, then the next question is what to wear?

My normal CNY clothing is more towards comfort which means it will be the ubiqutous jeans or cropped pants with T-shirt. Such attire may not be respectful. Hence, I opt for a more lady-like skirt and pink top. Anything dull-coloured may be taboo especially for the more traditional family.

Sigh! Now, I can fully empathise with those future sons or daughters-in-law who have to visit their other halves' family. The nerves, the apprehension and the haplessness can truly depletes your confidence. Any undesirable impression that I make as a friend does not bring about as severe a consequence as someone going in the capacity of a future son or daughter-in-law.

I hope I will not leave any bad impression to her family or cause her any embarrassment. Good luck to me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wah u talk as if u're mtg future inlaws... erm, is ter some plans i dono?!

ms chan

SJ said...

I am just drawing analogy. My mother has also taught me well and that no matter who I visit, I should always put on my best behaviour. Don't think too much, the jokes that we always have abt Ms Phuah and me becoming in-laws is not likely to happen...

Anonymous said...

y not???????

ms chan

SJ said...

This, u have to ask Ms Phuah... ha ha...