January 06, 2010

Surprised Birthday Celebration

Our bosses held a post-Christmas lunch before the work of budget kicked in in lieu of the Christmas lunches that we traditionally had as a big group as the Christmas lunch this year was decentralised. This time round, we had a our lunches at Straits Kitchen at the Hyatt Hotel.

We knew about the invitation to the lunch but initially we were clueless about the occasion. One of my colleagues who knew that my birthday was coming soon asked if it was meant to be a birthday celebration. I nonchalantly dismissed this speculation as no one in office had ever celebrated my birthday for the past 3 years. Moreover, we typically only celebrated the birthday of our bosses only so far and for those who were coincidentally who were born on the same month as any of our bosses. Hence, it was unlikely that there would be any celebration of my birthday.

Towards the end of the lunch, the chef and the crew of the Straits Kitchen appeared with a lit birthday cake and the cake was miraculously steered towards me. I was shocked, albeit the pleasantly surprised manner, by by the gestures. So shock, actually more appalled at my grand old age, that I was instantaneously speechless. I had even forgotten to make a wish and say my thanks before I blew the candles. I was flushed with embarrassment on how to handle the situation.

I was touched beyond words. I really wanted to bury myself in a hole then as I did not know how to thank my bosses and colleagues properly. Other than my birthday at 15 where a group of close friends actually congregated at my Japanese class and suddenly armed with a birthday cake and a huge lion, sang me a birthday son, this would definitely be one of the most memorable celebrations I ever had.

No comments: