August 14, 2009

Thai Express

I am a great lover of Thai food. However, there are very few Thai restaurants in Singapore matching up to the standard of an average stall in a Thai foodcourt. The only ones which I found good in Singapore were only Sticky Rice in Ang Mo Kio Hub and Lemon Grass which used to be at Hereen.

I have tried Thai Express which used to have an outlet at the Esplanade many years ago when Esplanade first opened its doors. I was not particularly impressed thinking that it was slightly overpriced and the quality was mediocre. I have similarly tried Bali Thai at Novena Square once. To be frank, it was way below my expectation.

Recently, Thai Expresss opened a new outlet at the revamped Northpoint. After so many years, the menu might have changed. Hence, I decided to patronise Thai Express despite my reservations. Well, the food certainly looked tantalising from the display. What about the taste?
1) Curry Softshell Crab with Rice
This is the best among the dishes we have. The crab is crispy without being oily. The curry is a little sweet. It would be better if it were spicier.
2) Tom Yam Rice Noodle Soup
The Tom Yam is way too spicy without being sour enough. For people with lower tolerance of spicy food, this is certainly something you should avoid.
3) Pad Thai
Very few pad thai could match up to the standard of Bangkok. This is not exception. The pad thai is too sweet. The pad thai was too oily.

Generally, I will not recommend a repeat visit.

No comments: