Despite NEL being in operation for many years, I have not really explored the NEL. I have only taken NEL to go to VivoCity and Chinatown. The places I am at ease with are often the central and the west – where I used to stay and studied. Hence, when Nat invited us to her house, it was a great opportunity (gives me a purpose) to travel beyond the familiar areas.
I have always equated Boon Keng to industrial area – some of the most well-known manufacturing companies in Singapore are situated here. I have never realized it is also a residential estate.
Taking NEL reminds me of the MRT when it first starts. It is filled but not overcrowded. The passengers at least have enough leg room while standing. Strangely, without the claustrophobic feeling, the train journey is a much pleasant and seemingly shorter one.
When I step out of the train station, it is amazing to see that the entrance of the station is framed by 2 blocks of flats. Most of the train stations in the north-south and east-west lines are never this close to a block of flats, partly because the train stations in the those lines are normally situated at the town centre and are above grounds. The underground train allows the residents in the area the accessibility without the noise inconvenience.
Having always stayed near a main road, I have forgotten the tranquility of the places away from the roads. Time spent in such places seem to slow down. It takes some time for me to get used to.
Singapore has always been known to a small place. Yet, for someone who has lived in Singapore for twenty odd years, I regret to confess there are still many corners in Singapore where I have not been to.
No comments:
Post a Comment