November 14, 2008

Teambuilding 2008

For this year’s teambuilding, we are back at Sentosa for some sun, sand, sea and sweat.

The first part of the teambuilding themed on working together, including across teams so that we could deliver to our customers. This entailed building pipes on the beach to roll tennis-sized balls to the catcher at one end of the pipes. The second activity was on the construction of a race car using pipes. The cars were test-driven before we lined ourselves up for the real race.

The second part of the teambuilding was more of an amazing race where it was kicked off at the beach once again. We had to try to get ping pong balls out of a long pipe which was punctured with holes. As we poured water into the pipe, the holes started leaking water and we needed to cover up the holes as effectively as possible. Next on, we travelled to the Dolphin Bay, the southern-most part of Asian Continent, the Siloso Beach and to the Luge for our challenges.

Unfortunately, before we could complete the entire challenge, rain started to pour. While we waited for the rain to subside, the rain just grew heavier. As it was soon time to go back to the meeting point, we put on the plastic poncho which we were given, braved the rain and started a 15 minute walk from Siloso Beach back to Palawan Beach. This was the first time I had walked in the rain and for a good whole 15 minutes or more - another first experience in teambuilding events.

I seemed to encounter my many ‘firsts’ in the teambuilding events. In the 2008 teambuilding event, there were other firsts such as the first time I walked the hanging bridge to reach the Southern most of Asian Continent. As I was on the bridge, I seemed to be floating on water. It was a beautiful way to look at Sentosa from the bridge. It was a first for me to approach strangers to help us in the games. I was certainly glad by the spontaneity of some of the tourists.
Sometimes, I approached Teambuilding with certain trepidation as I was wary of some of the challenges I would be put through. Yet, I knew I would emerge from these teambuilding events as a stronger person as I would overcome some mental hurdles of performing certain tasks when everyone could certain achieve as long as you try. Hmm, however, I think I may need to continue to work harder on my creativity as I am often at a loss of what to do when I have to think creatively to complete certain tasks.

No comments: