November 07, 2008

First Flash Report

Our flash report is a summary of the preceding month's financial performance on the 5th working day.

This is the first month I am doing the report. It is nerve-wrecking because of the short turnaround time. The financial results are out only at 4 pm while the report has to be issued within the same day. For the past few months, my predecessor has been working till about mid-night to roll out the report. Many things can happen to delay the reporting - numbers don't tie, last minute changes to numbers etc.

I am also excited because to me, this is a more important role than just focusing on my own products. At least, I will have a view of the total corporate products and earlier than most people because I will be the one summarising and reporting to management.

For the past few months, I have been knocking off at around 6 plus. My boss was surprised to see me still at my desk at 8 plus, forgetting momentarily that I was doing consolidation for the first month. When I reminded him that I was doing flash report, he suddenly recalled. He encouraged me by saying that since it was my maiden flash report, he would definitely read it.

Fortunately, the report was rolled out on time. The next target? To issue the main report, ie the more detailed analysis of the numbers within 3 working days from the flash report. Let's hope I can make it. <Apprehension>

No comments: