November 20, 2007

Proliferating Crowd

Recently, the crowd is getting to me.

When some members of the public commented that Singapore was getting too crowded, mixed feelings were drawn from others. Some concurred that Singapore was indeed too crowded, but some mentioned that Singapore's degree of crowdedness was a far cry from cities like Manila or Jakarta. I have not been to either place. Thus, it is hard for me to imagine the crowd there. Some socialists commented that one way to indicate that a city was getting too crowded was when the residents became rude and impatient.

Hmm, perhaps most of the Singaporeans are still generally polite and cordial. Yet, I am beginning to feel that I have less and less patience. In a crowded train, I also tend to push my way ahead more and more. Yes, such behaviour will definitely draw more than one raised eyebrow. However, let's face it. It is either you 'fight' your way through or risk seeing several trains zoom past you without being able to board onto any. I also tend to put out my elbows and inevitably poking people than risk being step on. I have been stepped on numerous times despite being in heels. The last time I was stepped on, I ended up having a big patch of blue-black on my foot for one week.

I cannot help wondering if by the time Singaporeans start to behave less cordially, the city may have already become too crowded for our own comfort. Moreover, it takes decades to change the culture for the better, but it can only take years to retard civility. If we only attempt to alleviate the crowd problem when we observe that Singaporeans are getting impatient, rough and pushy, then such symptoms may be permanent and irreversible.

Isn't there the saying that prevention is better than cure? Instead of spending resources and time on campaigns of politeness and consideration subsequently, perhaps we should nip the problem in the bud now? Should there be closer attention paid to the degree of crowdedness in Singapore and the nuances of Singaporeans' behavioural change? Food for thought... ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we haven't reach the 6mil population mark yet.... more to come....

HP

SJ said...

I just cannot imagine how it will be then. Maybe during certain periods, we would have reached that crowd temporarily, ie during certain major world conferences or events held in Singapore.