Cathy and Jodie is a book by Kit Chan and Yong Siew Fern. This book chronicled the growing up of 2 teenage girls in the eighties. Never have I been able to relate to a book so much even though technically, my teenage years were in the nineties.
It was so engaging that when I read on the train, I could not help stifling a giggle. No wonder I was drawing weird stares from the fellow passengers. If there was no one around, I would have broken out into hysteric laughter.
The angst, the dreams and the idiosyncracies of the 2 buddies were so reminiscent of our teenage years that it was as if I was reliving my teenage years ago. The tales of changing uniforms while strolling along Far East Plaza brought back such fond memories as my alma mater had very stringent rules about loitering outside school in our uniforms. The frustrations about practising for any performance for some events helped built stronger friendships if we could overcome the differences. Our boisterous and tom-boyish attitudes which often intimidated others, including boys were also rather renowned among the various schools.
Upon growing up, the differing paths and pursuits of dreams were also some issues that constantly plagued any clique of secondary school friends. In fact, every time we met, what we were doing with our lives and recallng the past were often the topic flavour of any gathering.
For those of you who have been through a girls' school, this is a must read. For those who have been through a co-ed school, this will also make an interesting read but I am not certain how much of the incidents described are similar to what you may have gone through. Notwithstanding, for all those who have grown up in the eighties and nineties, this would have been made a very amusing read.
No comments:
Post a Comment